Thursday, April 18, 2013

Amber's Service Learning Project:WIC

     




         For my service-learning project, I decided to focus on the education of the physical and mental well-being of families and children. I decided to work with a supplemental nutrition program to support women, infants, and children; this is often known as WIC. This organization believes women and families should be given the right nutritional knowledge before and after a child is born by working together to ensure a child’s development is appropriate despite family income. I learned a lot about what WIC stands for and how invested they are in advocating for the well-being of the families under their care. I was able to speak with the Program Director of the Department of Health for the state of Vermont, Danielle*, and was uplifted by her care for the families, which is something I believe is important when teaching a democratic society. Danielle stated, “I walked into this job off the street and it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me,” said Danielle. “It’s really rewarding to help a mom through a breast-feeding goal, or help a family in a time of need. Families are so appreciative, everyone wants to do a great job, but society doesn't have a lot of support for young families.”


For my service leraning, I volunteered at the Milton Family Community Center (MFCC). While I was growing up I received services from them so I thought that doing my service learning project there would be a good way to give back. While I was there I worked in three different departments, they were: infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. Working with the infants was really fun, I was able to connect with them because I have a niece who is also an infant. I feel that if I didn't aleady have expirience with babies, I would have been overwhelmed. Working with the toddlers was a much different expirience; all they wanted to do was sit on my lap and play with me. They were able to tell me and the staff what they needed, and they knew right from wrong. I really enjoyed working with the preschoolers. They were all energetic and they loved making drawings for me. I helped them do puzzles, and get their snacks. I found the whole expirience very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment